Advertisement

Map of safe zones in the World?

topic posted Sun, February 10, 2008 - 11:51 AM by  Stuart
Share/Save/Bookmark
Does anyone have a map showing which areas of the Earth will be safe and which ones will be dangerous. I know that you need to be away from the coast, fault line and volcano. You also need to be away from huge population centres. Does anyone have specific places on a map to live?
posted by:
Stuart
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Map of safe zones in the World?

Sun, February 10, 2008 - 1:28 PM
    yea.... I have a map of all the safe zones in the world. ALL of the zones that are safe from earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, tidal waves, riots, plagues and biological attacks, meteors, war, nuclear explosions AND all possible patterns of fallout!

The map? It's a blank sheet of paper.
    • Unsu...

Sun, February 10, 2008 - 1:30 PM
      one thing I can tell you for sure, is that the bay Area is definitely one of the few places in the world that has potential for ALL of the above. Relatively speaking, you could move just about anywhere else in the world and you'd be safer.
  • Unsu...

Sun, February 10, 2008 - 1:56 PM
    It's more a matter of risk assessment, which types of natural phenomena do you feel you could cope with best? I'm born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, survived Mt. St. Helens even though we had several feet of ash and rock dumped on us, and don't really mind the occasional flooding and wind storms; however, the thought of hurricanes and tornadoes scare the bejeebus out of me, so I'll stay here, thanks.

Watched a documentary yesterday about a potential supervolcanic explosion under Yellowstone. Unlikely to happen, but, man, that would be an exceedingly grim scenario.
  • Re: Map of safe zones in the World?

Wed, February 13, 2008 - 1:28 PM
    there is no "SAFE" zone, all u can do is choose the best spot that u can get to quickly and safely

Wed, February 13, 2008 - 8:49 PM
      It all depends on the catastrophe. For instance, an extinction level impact would most likely impact the water, the ensuing tidal waves (that would be miles high) would wipe out coasts in every direction for 2k miles. After that you could expect serious volcanic activity which would spell the end for anyone anywhere in the ring of fire (the west coast, Japan, Aleutian islands, Hawaii, Taiwan, etc) The impact would also splash salt water into the ionosphere which would come down as saline rain.

However, if we are hit by a sterilization level impact then we all die...right away.

What if we are over run by French zombies?
  • Unsu...

Thu, February 14, 2008 - 7:53 PM
    Anywhere you live there's something that can get ya. I'd rather deal with the tornado's than the other natural disaster's. The odd's of it missing you are pretty good. If you live in tornado country paying attention to the weather and a good shelter like a basement and surviving one isnt too hard. I have a wx weather alarm if a warning is issued while I'm sleeping and when storm's are severe I stay up and pay attention to them. During the day, when the sky turn's green and get's as dark as night, you better find a hole.

Fri, February 15, 2008 - 10:36 PM
      Az has no natural disasters other than heat or drought, and we're used to both. Tornados are rare out here, no fault lines, no tidal waves.....I'd just have to eat snowbirds for a few years until I got my crops goin'.
      • Unsu...

Fri, February 15, 2008 - 11:29 PM
        Hell yeah, make soap from their lard.
        • Unsu...

Tue, February 19, 2008 - 5:26 PM
          I like the west slopes of the rockies. We have a small fault line here in Utah, it gives us a 2.0 or less, every ten years or more. Not really any volcanoes. Tornadoes are about as common as rocks falling from space. We've had one little twister in my lifetime, likely my only one. Populations are small enough to be self-cohesive and generally civilly managed even if the powers-that-be lost control for a while. A lot of people out here in the west know how to manage through drought, know how to hunt or fish, know how to work agriculture. The desert lands are very alive and survivable, and will probably have food to hunt and grow, LONG after the forests are scavenged and emptied of deer and bear and berries. they're not just dead dirt as many people are impressed to think. Plus, we've got plenty of forest and mountainlands, all the way up to the supposed 'greatest snow-caps on earth' up in our rockies.

I think a dense, coastal metropolis would be the absolute worst place to be. The looting and stealing and murder is barely kept in check as-is, in places like SF or LA.... Not to mention the much higher incidence and vulnerability to natural disaster threats.

Tue, April 8, 2008 - 7:48 PM
        Sorry Adam, but the San francisco Peaks are volcanoes. And I have seen sea shells in the desert of Camp Verde. Used to be ocean bottom, and could be again. Besides, without fresh water you will be dead in a matter of days. I think water supply is the most important consideration. Everything else expands off of that. I hope your well is dug, and you don't need the power grid to pump it.
  • Unsu...

Tue, February 19, 2008 - 5:56 PM
    I'm pretty happy with Western PA.
    The winters can test one's mettle, but we're tough folks. Even our women and children do it.
    • Unsu...

Tue, February 19, 2008 - 7:25 PM
      I think what it boils down to, is that most natural disasters can be coped with.... HENCE the existence of the human race after all the floods, tornadoes, storms and earthquakes and droughts and famines throughout history.

There are really only a few things that you just can't make it through with a normal ammount of preparation and training. Things like meteors and nuclear missiles landing directly on your head, or a chinese army paratrooping into your backyard barbeque.

Other than that, it's just prefference. I'd rather be cold than hot, so I live in the mountains and store up for a hard winter. Some people are opposite, like Adam. He'd rather have year-round planting, and deal with the sweat and drought. Also, in a social breakdown I'd rather grow crops in a small community or by myself, than fight for the last cans of food at a looted wal-mart. I don't live in the big major cities. I'm sure there are some people who might rather form a group of well armed road warriors and tough it out in the new hirearchy of the densely populated areas. Not me.

I think Rick is the only one here who doesn't mind tropical storms and tidal waves. He's kind of a strange, 'waterworld' fellow. hehe
    • Unsu...

Thu, February 21, 2008 - 10:59 AM
      My grandpa rebuilt the engine in his big truck in a rest area in PA one winter. Back before there was a truck stop and wrecker service every 20 mile's. He stretched a tarp from the raised hood to the cab and used a metal bucket with charcoal for heat while he was working.

Wed, April 2, 2008 - 9:32 PM
    There are at least 2 books which address this issue in great detail -- well, at least for North America and the United States. One of them is called Strategic Relocation: North American Guide to Safe Places by Joel M. Skousen, and it can be ordered online via his website or by calling 1-800-292-2831. It contains maps. I bought a copy last year and have found it to be very detailed and well written. I lent it to a survival-oriented friend who used it to research a safer place to live than the San Francisco Bay Area. She decided to move to the small-town Northeast, I can't remember which state. The other book is called Rawles On Retreats and Relocation by James Rawles, who runs survivalblog.com. I can't say that I've ever read it, though I plan to.

There are also some interactive maps online which show how rising sea levels will affect the coastal regions of the world. I do not have any links to share with you at the moment, though you can find the maps by googling for them. If memory serves me correctly, one of the sites shows rising sea levels up to about 40 meters above current sea level. Remember that if all the ice in the world melts, the oceans will probably rise about 350 feet. This might not happen for a long time, or it might never happen, but it's something to keep in mind when looking for a safe retreat locale.

Thu, April 3, 2008 - 4:39 PM
      As the caps melt, the speed at which they melt at will increase exponentially because there will be less reflective surface for UV. Plus the heat will spur greater and greater releases of methane from the oceans. It'll be like a freight train picking up speed.

Thu, April 3, 2008 - 5:43 PM
        Yeah, personally I think the sea levels are going to rise very quickly in the next 20 - 30 years. Antarctica keeps calving off giant icebergs at an alarming rate, and Greenland is melting very quickly. There will be mayhem on an unprecedented level when coastal cities start flooding. Buy your safe land soon - long before things get crazy. All that expensive coastal real estate will lose its value very quickly at some point, and what is cheap or unwanted land now will become much sought.

Recent topics in "Preemptive Postapocalypticism"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Best dating sites for older men and younger women Unsubscribed 0 May 27, 2014
NEW MODERATOR Mitch 23 August 27, 2013
Off the grid in New Mexico? beast 5 June 13, 2013
Making lightbulbs Adam 14 May 25, 2013